Police Jury Meeting Notes: August 6, 2023
Posted: Sep 7, 2023, 4:53 PM
One of Bossier Parish's least publicized but increasingly more popular parks will be receiving a major facelift following action by the parish police jury Wednesday during its regular session.
Jury members awarded a $1.571 million bid for improvements at Parish Camp that will include upgrades to the existing boat launch, one of the only launch sites on southern Lake Bistineau that remains open during low water. Fifty percent of the funding for the project comes from federal grants obtained by the police jury recreation department, headed by Director Warren Saucier.
Plans also call for clearing a portion of 12 acres on the east side of the existing park property that was purchased in 2020. A parking area and RV facilities are scheduled in the future for much of that area.
Bossier Parish Police Jury workers have already completed an extension of nearly 110 feet for a pier along the western lake front of the park in order to accommodate docking more fishing and pleasure boats. A restroom complex, complete with a shower facility, has also been constructed at the camp.
A larger, wider launch ramp capable of handling more than one boat or large party barges is part of the construction plans.
During Wednesday's meeting, Saucier said a pre-construction meeting has been scheduled and work on the project could begin as early as 30 days from now. Unfortunately, the park will be closed while the project is underway. A completion date has not been established.
Jury member Bob Brotherton said it is unfortunate that the park and its boat launch site has to close during construction. Brotherton said the site is popular with hunters during duck season since it's one of the only launches on the southern end of Lake Bistineau.
But, he noted, a temporary inconvenience is not a bad price to pay for progress in the police jury's park and recreation system.
Police Jury members also:
- Heard report from Stacy Brown, Shreveport–Bossier Convention and Tourist Bureau.
- Authorized advertising of bids for mowing and baling hay three times per year on property described as Lot 1, less commerce Industrial Park #1A, Commerce Industrial Park Unit #1, Tax Assessment No. 170470; bids to be received September 20, 2023.
- Awarded bid for Project No. 2022-111, Parish Camp boat launch improvements, in accordance with bids received August 24, 2023.
- Accepted quote from Budd’s Construction for the Bossier Parish Wastewater Treatment Plant emergency air line repair for Consolidated Waterworks/Sewerage District No. 1 of the Parish of Bossier.
- Approved the application of William Bradford, Blanchard, Walker, O’Quin & Roberts, for a zoning amendment to change the zoning classification of a certain tract of land being .96 acres, more or less, located in Section 16, Township 18 North, Range 12 West, Bossier Parish, LA, from R-A, Residence-Agricultural District, to B-3, General Business District; located on the south side of Highway 80, east of Ferndale Boulevard, for a used tire store.
- Approved the application of Sean Hintz, for a Conditional Use Approval for the sale of high and low content alcohol for on and off-premise consumption at Daiquiri Express to be located at 5430 Airline Drive, Suite 100, Bossier Parish.
- Approved the application of the Haughton MPC to amend various sections of the Unified Development Code relative to drainage easements, industrial use parking areas, and residential driveway locations.
- Approved the application of the Haughton MPC to amend the Unified Development Code to include the Highway 80 redevelopment overlay district.
- Scheduled a public hearing on October 4, 2023, to establish a speed limit of 15 miles per hour on Robinson Lane, Bodcau Ridge subdivision, located in Section 36, Township 20 North, Range 12 West, Bossier Parish; located off Highway 157.
- Scheduled a public hearing on October 4, 2023, to establish a speed limit of 25 miles per hour on Merrill Lane, located in Section 25, Township 21 North, Range 13 West; located off Butler Hill Road.
- Scheduled a public hearing on October 4, 2023, to consider approval of the Minor Plat of Survey for Brenda Watkins, located in Section 26, Township 20 North, Range 12 West, Bossier Parish; located off Linton Bellevue Road.
- Scheduled a public hearing on October 4, 2023, to abandon Lot 1, Eastlake subdivision, located in Section 35, Township 20 North, Range 13 West, Bossier Parish; located off Linton Road.
- Scheduled a public hearing on October 4, 2023, to consider approval of the amended plat of Eastlake subdivision, being a replat of Eastlake subdivision, located in Section 35, Township 20 North, Range 13 West, Bossier Parish; and to consider abandonment of a public dedication known as Eastlake Circle as shown on the Eastlake subdivision plat recorded in Conveyance Book 808, Page 317, on February 11, 1988; located off Linton Road; with the police jury reserving all oil, gas, and mineral rights.
- Approved a salary study and approved study of a draft of a fireworks ordinance from the Policy and Procedures Committee.
- Accepted recommendation of Roads/Subdivision Regulations Committee to spend $3,500 to clear beaver dams affecting drainage at a subdivision.
- Agreed to close property standards case after 30-day review of property located at 3415 Fairview Point Road, Elm Grove.
- Approved tabling matter of a Transfer Deed/Donation from the Bossier Parish Police Jury to the City of Bossier City of property located at 1200 Airline Drive, Bossier City, Tax Assessment No. 148936, Parcel 1813343B, for the purpose of maintenance of a water tower, with the police jury reserving all oil, gas, and mineral rights pending review by parish attorney. (This matter was tabled on August 16, 2023.)
- Adopted an ordinance amending Ordinance No. 3718 previously adopted on September 6, 2000, to correct typographical errors.
- Adopted a resolution honoring Ms. Yvonne Thompson on her 100th birthday.
- Approved reinstatement and amendment of Ordinance No. 4901 that was suspended on July 5, 2023, to amend certain sections and subsections.
- Accepted an agreement between the Department of Transportation and Development and the Bossier Parish Police Jury in connection with State Project H.015519, FAP No. H015519-Smith Road over Red Chute Bayou, State Project H.015520, FAP No. H015520-Collinsburg Road over Collinsburg Creek, and State Project H.015546, FAP No. H015546-Caplis Sligo Road over Red Chute Bayou. Agreement provides for 100 percent funding from state of $11 million to replace series of bridges.
- Approved a variance of parish regulations to build below the centerline road elevation at 3575 Maggio Road, Lot 15, Summerset Estates subdivision.
- Accepted the streets and drainage for Edgewater Pass subdivision, Unit No. 1, Phase 1, into the parish road system for permanent maintenance.
- Accepted a proposal from David W. Volentine, MAI, for appraisal services for two well sites located off Highway 80 and Highway 614, in connection with the funding through the Water Sector Program (WSP) – Consolidated Waterworks/Sewerage District No. 1 of the Parish of Bossier-Subrecipient LA WSP10905 for the Bossier Parish Police Jury.
- Approved change order No. 1 for Project No. 2023-116, Innovation Drive and Dairy Lane extension.
- Approved the certificate of substantial completion for Project No. 2022-107, Glendale Lane street improvements, Phase V.
- Approved the final change order No. 1 for Project No. 2022-107, Glendale Lane street improvements, Phase V.
- Approved the certificate of substantial completion for Project No. 2022-120, Cycle Plant Road improvements.
- Approved the final change order No. 1 for Project No. 2022-120, Cycle Plant Road improvements.