Police Jury Meeting Notes: September 5, 2018
Posted: Sep 5, 2018, 3:58 PM
Improvements to the Parish Camp in south Bossier are continuing and following Wednesday’s Police Jury meeting, the facility will soon have even more room to expand services to residents.
Jury members voted unanimously to authorize the purchase of just over 12 and a half acres adjoining camp property on the southeastern side, a move that will nearly triple the size of the park on Lake Bistineau.
“We have a diamond in the rough there,” said District 1 jury member Bob Brotherton. “I believe there is a very bright future for the camp and for the people who will be utilizing the facilities.”
Purchase price of the property is about $235,000 and according to Treasurer Joe Buffington, the money will come from a combination of the jury’s parks and recreation construction fund and sales tax revenue.
Currently, a well is being drilled at the park with an eye toward supplying water for a future bathroom and shower facility. Brotherton said the water would also help with other down-the-road plans.
“I think we’d like to see RV slots with hookups for water and sewer,” he said. “Additionally, we hope to double the size of the boat launch and work with Wildlife and Fisheries on more recreational possibilities.”
Other possible improvements at the park could be hiking and biking trails, especially when the new acreage has been cleared, Brotherton added. Camping areas can also be improved and expanded.
During Wednesday’s meeting, police jury members also:
- Awarded a bid for the Cardnell Rd. project to F.J. Furnell.
- Announced Mark Montgomery as successful bidder for surplus property.
- Remanded a request for a zoning classification change to the Metropolitan Planning Commission (MPC).
- Scheduled public hearings to consider plats of proposed development of McLemore Plantation subdivision, Unit 3; to consider plat approval of proposed development of Tandem Plaza subdivision; and to consider plat approval of proposed Reeder subdivision development, Unit 1-A.
- Declared an emergency condemnation of property on Parish Camp Rd. and agreed to call one condemnation hearing.
- Approved funds for two off-duty BPSO deputies to work security at the 175th Anniversary of Bossier Parish celebration at the Bossier Night Market on Sept. 8.
- Reappointed Sally Namie to the Bossier Parish Library Board of Control for five-year term.
- Approved cooperative endeavor agreement between Sligo Water System, Inc. and the Bossier Parish Police Jury, owner of Bossier Parish Consolidated Waterworks/Sewerage Dist. 1 to provide treatment with Old River Place subdivision. The agreement will add 105 households to the Bossier system.
- Approved proposal of Raley & Associates for surveying and engineering services to design two ditches in Tall Timbers subdivision, for surveying and engineering services to design a ditch in Espanita subdivision and for surveying and engineering services for design of ditch in Dogwood South subdivision.
- Approved two change orders on the North-South Corridor Swan Lake Rd. project from I-220 to Flat River.