Police Jury Meeting Notes: October 5, 2022
Posted: Oct 6, 2022, 1:46 PM
Projects to repair and replace asphalt roads in south Bossier Parish that were damaged by floods in 2015 and 2016 are continuing to move ahead, Parish Engineer Eric Hudson told parish police jury members Wednesday.
More than 30 road projects are being funded by approximately $32 million received from the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) after Bossier Parish won an appeal heard in federal court in Washington, D.C. two years ago.
Hudson said contractors working on Atkins Clark Rd. and Swan Lake Rd. in south Bossier are near completion and work is progressing on Caplis Sligo Rd.
In addition to the FEMA projects, Hudson said the parish is practically finished with its road overlay program for 2022.
"The Arthur Ray Teague Parkway overlay is the only project left to finish for the year," he said, noting that parish highway department crews will soon begin patching necessary areas of the Parkway prior to the overlay.
In other business during Wednesday's meeting, police jury members:
- Approved Section 8 Housing annual plan presented by Executive Director Kennith Starnes.
- Authorized the advertising for bids for Project No. 2022-109, South Bossier Park-New Athletic Fields, bid date to be determined. (Police Jury Districts 1).
- Approved plat of the proposed development of Faith Ridge subdivision, located in Section 25, Township 20 North, Range 12 West, Bossier Parish; located near Linton Bellevue Road.
- Approved plat of the proposed development of Lucky Partition subdivision, Unit No. 2B, being a resubdivision of Lot 6B, Lucky Partition subdivision, Unit No. 2A, located in Section 3, Township 16 North, Range 12 West, Bossier Parish; located off Bull Fight Road.
- Approved plat of the proposed development of Belmere subdivision, Unit No. 6, located in Section 4, Township 19 North, Range 13 West, Bossier Parish; previously approved on December 15, 2021; located off Julesburg Lane. (Police Jury District 3).
- Scheduled a public hearing on November 2 to consider adoption of an ordinance prohibiting the use of “jake brakes” or “unmuffled compression brakes” on Highway 154 at Atkins Clark Road.
- Scheduled a public hearing on November 2 to establish a speed limit of 30 miles per hour on Franklin Road, located in Sections 23 and 24, Township 17 North, Range 12 West, Bossier Parish.
- Agreed to schedule a public hearing on November 16 to consider the application of Durr Engineering, LLC, to the Haughton Parish MPC, for a zoning amendment to change the zoning classification of three tracks of land totaling approximately 18 acres, located at the northwest corner of State Highway 157 and Highway 80, in Section 8, Township 18 North, Range 11 West, Bossier Parish, from R-A, Residential Agriculture District, to l-1, Light Industrial District, for a storage facility.
- Accepted report on meeting of Property Standards Board of Review; agreed to proceed to condemnation hearing on one property and to board of review on another.
- Accepted report on meetings of the police jury's Juvenile Committee and Road/Subdivision Regulations Committee.
- Agreed to combine police jury meetings for the month of January, 2023, to meet January 18 with the finance committee meeting to be held at 1:30 p.m., followed by the regular meeting at 2 p.m.
- Adopted a procurement policy for compliance with the FY 2022-2023 LCDBG Program.
- Adopted a resolution addressing the administrative and engineering aspects of the proposed FY2023 Louisiana Community Development Block Grant Project applications for street improvements in Bossier Parish.
- Adopted a resolution authorizing the parish president to execute any and all documents in connection with FY2023 Louisiana Community Development Block Grant program – street improvements in Bossier Parish.
- Adopted an ordinance to officially post certain bridge structures in Bossier Parish in connection with the Louisiana Off-System Bridge Replacement program.
- Adopted annual Certification of Compliance with the State of Louisiana Off-System Bridge Replacement program.
- Approved applications for renewal of Bossier Parish beer/liquor licenses for 2023, subject to approval by the health department. (Approved by the Sheriff’s Department.)
- Approved applications for renewal of Bossier Parish beer/liquor licenses for 2023. (Approved by the Sheriff and Health Department.)
- Approved change order No. 1 for Project No. 2021-129, Bossier Parish Libraries, new central library.
- Approved change order No. 1 for S.P. No. H.007400.6, North Bossier Shared Use Trail, Phase II, Bossier Parish.
- Approved change order No. 2 for S.P. No. H.007400.6, North Bossier Shared Use Trail, Phase II, Bossier Parish, and authorize the execution of documents.
- Approved a memorandum of understanding between the Bossier Parish Police Jury and Capital Area Corporate Recycling Council for recycling surplus electronics.
- Approved a revised proposal from Neel-Schaffer, Inc., for the traffic study for the East-West Corridor Winfield Road extension project.
- Approved amendment No. 3 to the Professional Services Agreement for roadside vegetation management with EDKO, LLC, Project No. 2020-117, roadside vegetation management.
- Adopted a resolution authorizing the parish administrator or parish president to execute any and all documents in connection with the required acquisition for Covington Road extension project.