Police Jury Meeting Notes: August 3, 2022
Posted: Aug 4, 2022, 12:00 AM
Approval of three cooperative endeavor agreements between the state Department of the Treasury, the state of Louisiana and the Bossier Parish Police Jury will mean $400,000 in appropriations for the parish, including one which will provide sewer and water lines to serve a new sawmill in Plain Dealing.
Parish police jurors voted to move ahead with the agreements Wednesday.
Jury members were told $300,000 will be dedicated for services to the Teal Jones Group sawmill, a planned $110 million project located on LA Hwy. 3 just south of Plain Dealing. Officials say the new facility will support 125 new direct jobs with annual salaries averaging $47,000, plus benefits.
Louisiana Economic Development estimates the project will also support at least 369 indirect jobs, for a total of 494 prospective new jobs in the northwest region of the state. The production facility would generate up to 120 construction jobs at peak construction.
Groundbreaking ceremonies for the lumber plant were held July 11.
Other funds approved through the agreements will be dedicated to one existing parish park and another that is on the drawing board. South Bossier Park will be receiving $75,000 for improvements that include four new soccer/football fields. South Bossier Park, located off Caplis Sligo Rd., is becoming one of the most popular recreational facilities in the police jury's system.
A future park at Kinston Rd., complete with walking trail, will be receiving $25,000 through the agreements.
In other business at Wednesday's meeting, police jury members:
- Approved request from Bossier Parish Sheriff's Office for a Quietus on the 2021 tax roll.
- Granted a three-week extension before enforcing condemnation order on property located on John Wilson Dr.
- Awarded bid for Project No. 2022-117, wall demolition and fencing project at Central Library, in accordance with bids received July 22, 2022, and authorize the Parish Administrator, Parish President, and/or Director of Libraries to execute any and all documents.
- Awarded bid for Project No. 2022-119, demolition of three (3) residential properties, in accordance with bids received July 29, 2022.
- Accepted a proposal for Project No. 2022-123, Castlewood Circle drainage repairs, located on Lot 19, Bayou Bend subdivision, Unit No. 7, and Lot 20, Bayou Bend subdivision, Unit No. 7A.
- Adopted a resolution authorizing the Parish Administrator or President to execute any and all documents in connection with required drainage servitudes for Project No. 2022-123, Castlewood Circle drainage repairs, located on Lot 19, Bayou Bend subdivision, Unit No. 7, and Lot 20, Bayou Bend subdivision, Unit No. 7A.
- Accepted a proposal for Project No. 2022-122, emergency drainage repair at Kingston Plantation – Cattails Trail and Colonel Burt Drive.
- Approved the plat of the proposed development of Willow Chute Estates subdivision, Unit No. 1, amended plat, being a replat of Willow Chute Estates subdivision, Unit No. 1, located in Section 27, Township 19 North, Range 13 West, Bossier Parish; located north of Wemple Road.
- Tabled for two weeks consideration of the minor plat for Susan Watts, located in Section 22, Township 20 North, Range 12 West, Bossier Parish; located off Dalrymple Road.
- Adopted an ordinance amending Chapter 82 of the Bossier Parish Code of Ordinances, “Parks and Recreation,” to add Article IV “Lake Plain Dealing.”
- Adopted an ordinance amending Chapter 94 of the Bossier Parish Code of Ordinances, “Roads and Subdivisions,” to add regulations for mailboxes in parish rights-of-ways.
- Approved the site plan for Swan Lake commercial subdivision, Unit No. 2, Lot 2B, C-Store and Retail, located in Section 26, Township 19 North, Range 13 West, Bossier Parish. (Located on the corner of Swan Lake Road and Duckwater Landing.)
- Recommended a disqualification hearing for developer and engineer concerning actions at a parish subdivision.
- Accepted report on meeting of the Insurance Committee.
- Agreed to impose a one-year penalty after company failed to meet obligations of the Industrial Tax Exemption Program contracts.
- Approved a resolution of acknowledgement and consent of the City of Bossier City Ordinance No. 82 of 2022 dated July 19, 2022, in accordance with La. R.S. 33:180.
- Approved a Termination of Option to Purchase in connection with Lot 4, Commerce Industrial Park, Unit No. 2.
- Approved a Waiver of Right of First Refusal in connection with Lot 4, Commerce Industrial Park, Unit No. 2.
- Ratified approval of a Letter of Support for Cajun Broadband in connection with their ConnectLA’s Granting Unserved Municipalities Broadband Opportunities (GUMBO) application.
- Ratified approval of a Letter of Support for Conexon Connect in connection with their ConnectLA’s Granting Unserved Municipalities Broadband Opportunities (GUMBO) application.
- Accepted the sewer main extension and improvements, Phase II, for Fairburn Avenue, into the Consolidated Waterworks/Sewerage District No. 1 of the Parish of Bossier sewer system for permanent maintenance.
- Approved Change Order No. 3 for Project No. 2021-109, Consolidated Waterworks/Sewerage District No. 1 expansion of wastewater collection system – Airline Drive.
- Approved Change Order No. 1 for Project No. 2021-127, Eastwood drainage improvements.
- Granted a variance for a home builder in Hope Hills subdivision.