Police Jury Meeting Notes: August 18, 2021
Posted: Aug 22, 2021, 7:33 AM
Current census figures show Bossier Parish is continuing a decades-old growing trend, showing just over 31 percent in growth since the 2000 count.
New figures show Bossier Parish with a population of 128,746. But, as Bossier Parish Administrator Bill Altimus explained to police jury members Wednesday, with growth comes challenges.
“There are supposed to be 10,700 people in each police jury district, with a plus or minus of five percent,” Altimus reported. “Our demographer has informed us that seven of our 12 districts are out of alignment.”
According to census figures, police jury districts 3, 5 and 12 have numbers exceeding the acceptable level while districts 7, 8, 9 and 10 must gain residents to meet the standards. One example, Altimus said, is District 5 which currently shows 15,500 persons in residence.
Altimus said the parish’s demographer has been asked to meet with jury members Sept. 1 to discuss realignment. Hopefully, he added, the police jury be able to draft an ordinance authorizing a new plan that can be adopted at the Sept. 15 meeting.
“We have six months after we adopt the ordinance to present a plan,” he said. “The state has to sign off on it and, in some cases, the Justice Department has to approve.”
In other business at Wednesday’s meeting, jury members:
- Awarded bid for Project No. 2021-114, proposed street improvements, DR-4263 PW 910 paved road, Task Order No. 2, in accordance with bids received August 16, 2021.
- Approved the application of Brandon Ray, Ray Property Investments, Inc., to the Bossier City-Parish Metropolitan Planning Commission, for a zoning amendment to change the zoning classification of a certain tract of land being 2.47 acres, more or less, located at 4900 Benton Rd., Bossier City, from R-A, Residence-Agricultural District, to B-2, Limited Business District, for a proposed retail development.
- Approved the application of the Bossier City-Parish Metropolitan Planning Commission to revise the Unified Development Code, Conditional Use regulations, Article 3.3.2.H in reference to the expiration of alcohol sales.
- Approved the application of Jennifer Elkins, Mama’s Bar and Grill, to the Bossier City-Parish Metropolitan Planning Commission for a Conditional Use Approval for the sale of high and low content alcohol for on premise consumption at a bar and grill located at 5510 Airline Dr., Ste. 106, Bossier City.
- Approved the plat of the proposed development of Waterford Lake subdivision, Unit No. 2, located in Section 22, Township 19 North, Range 13 West, Bossier Parish. (Located in Waterford Lake subdivision at the end of Calle Lago Court.)
- Approved the plat of the proposed development of Myers Road Estates subdivision, Unit No. 1-A, being a resubdivision of Lot 2, Myers Road Estates subdivision, located in Sections 22 and 27, Township 19 North, Range 13 West, Bossier Parish. (Located in Myers Road Estates Subdivision off Swan Lake Rd.)
- Agreed to table the plat of the proposed development of Crown Pointe subdivision, located in Sections 1 and 2, Township 20 North, Range 14 West, Bossier Parish. (Located off Old Plain Dealing Road.)
- Approved the site plan for Airline Lagniappe commercial subdivision, located at 5480 Airline Dr., Bossier Parish. (Located just north of Swan Lake Rd. on the right side of Airline Dr.)
- Approved the site plan for Black Stag Development, located in Section 32, Township 19 North, Range 13 West, Bossier Parish. (Located on the Southeast corner of Benton Road and Vanceville Rd.)
- Approved the Minor Plat for Joan Small Marshall, being a division of a 3.916-acre tract of land located in Section 23, Township 17 North, Range 12 West, Bossier Parish. (Located on Sligo Rd. near Hines Dr.)
- Approved the plat of the proposed development of Swan Lake commercial subdivision, Unit No. 1, being a commercial subdivision located in Section 26, Township 19 North, Range 13 West, Bossier Parish. (Located on Duckwater Landing.)
- Approved the plat of the proposed development of Faith Estates subdivision, Unit No. 3, being a resubdivision of Lot 6, Faith Estates subdivision, Unit No. 1, and Lot 28, Faith Estates subdivision, Unit No. 2, located in Section 28, Township 19 North, Range 11 West, Bossier Parish. (Located in Faith Estates Subdivision off Daley Dr.)
- Agreed to authorize parish attorney to send letter asking property located at 107 Augusta Avenue, Benton, be cleaned. Tax Assessment No. 102542.
- Agreed to condemn property located at 623 Lawrence Dr., Haughton, Tax Assessment No. 114230.
- Agreed to condemn property located at 120 Lawrence Dr., Haughton, Tax Assessment No. 115938.
- Agreed to condemn property located at 5273 Dixon St., Bossier City, Tax Assessment No. 102561.
- Accepted report on meeting of the Property Standards Board of Review.
- Adopted a resolution approving the holding of an election in Benton Fire District No. 4 of the Parish of Bossier, State of Louisiana, on Saturday, Nov. 13, 2021, to authorize the levy of a special tax therein.
- Reappointed Richard McGuire to the Board of Commissioners for Bossier Parish Fire District No. 7 for a two-year term, term to expire August 31, 2023.
- Approved change order No. 1 for Project No. 2021-112, proposed street improvements, DR-4263 PW 910 paved roads.
- Accepted a proposal from Land & Aquatic Resource Management, LLC, for an environmental assessment on Benton sewer pipeline and structures from Turtle Creek/Jones Cypress Bayou subdivision to an existing manhole near Airline Dr. and Deen Point Rd.
- Approved change order No. 5 for Project No. 2019-126, Johnson-Koran Rd. bridge over Foxskin Bayou.
- Approved the certificate of substantial completion for Project No. 2021-106, Winfield Rd. improvements.
- Approved change order No. 1 for Project No. 2021-100, Bossier North-South Corridor (Flat River to Crouch Rd.) clearing and grubbing.
- Approved the utility relocation agreement between Southwestern Electric Power Company and the Bossier Parish Police Jury for Project No. 2021-100, Bossier North-South Corridor (Flat River to Crouch Rd). clearing and grubbing.
- Approved change order No. 6 for Project No. 2019-132, West Linton Rd. extension to Fairburn Ave.